Holidays in a Small Space

Stockings I found at the local thrift store for $1 each

I enjoyed the challenge of decorating a tiny space for Christmas this year. In years past it’s always been unloading box after box out of my Mom’s attic and deciding what we had room for and what would need to go back into the attic.

Wreath made with materials found along the river



Currently, we don’t have room to store much in the camper so minimalist and low cost decorations that can be tossed or reused were this years theme. Thrift store, dollar store and nature are where all of the decorations came from.


Cooking in a Tiny Kitchen

20170523_173813.jpgOne of my favorite things to do is cook and bake, I knew moving into this small space would be a challenge when it came to cooking but it was one that I was ready to tackle. I moved into this camper with the mindset that there wasn’t anything I couldn’t cook, and I proved that to be right. While the space is small, I do still have 3 burners, an oven, a microwave, crockpot, and other small kitchen appliances. Even camping without electricity I was able to cook on the stove and bake things in the oven, there isn’t anything I can not make in this kitchen, except maybe a 20 pound turkey…there just isn’t enough room in the oven.

While we do have most of the conveniences of any other kitchen, the one thing we are lacking is counter space, making the hardest part of cooking any meal the prep work. The lack of counter space forces me to be strategic in the way I make every meal, I can’t have a bunch of ingredients all over the counter and dishes scattered around. I usually chop, season and prep all my food and then clean up before cooking.


When we are hosting guests we try to do our cooking outside. As a going away gift Paul’s aunt and uncle gifted us a table top camp griddle that runs on propane, it was really a life saver. We’ve cooked everything on that griddle from bacon and eggs to steak and potatoes and everything in between. It’s small enough to store away but big enough to cook a big meal for lots of people, and it’s fun too, I think everyone wanted to cook on it and feel like a restaurant chef.

Some food staples that I always have in the cabinets, easily dressed up with fresh veggies and a meat

  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Instant Mashed Potatoes (convenience comes first in this kitchen)
  • Tortillas (quesadillas, burritos, wraps, breakfast burritos, pizzas)
  • Bread
  • Canned Soup

Some cooking essentials that are a must in a camper kitchen


Space Saving RV Gifts

  1. Instant Pot

    7-in-1 programmable cooker
  2. Collapsible Silicone Pot

    Save room with this collapsible pot


  3. Outdoor Mat

    Helps keep dirt and rocks outside, while giving you a homey feeling where ever you are


  4. Table Top Patio Heater
    Great for chilly nights when you don’t/can’t have the campfire



  5. 4-in-1 Hand Blender
Great Multi-functional Kitchen Tool

Countertop Project

20170425_165929Paul and I knew we wanted to do something unique with the kitchen counters. After having to rip out all of the cabinets due to water damage we needed to redo them anyway.  We decided that we would use maps on the counters and then lay an epoxy over them. Again, we I did a lot of research, watching a ton of YouTube videos before attempting any of this.

First, I ironed all the maps (I used 3).

20170325_142644 (1)

Second, measured and cut my maps to fit the counter.


Then, I mod podged the maps to the tops of the counter top adding the mod podge under the maps, as well as a layer on top of them.


After letting them try we caulked around the countertop and then let that dry too.

Finally, we poured the epoxy. The epoxy we used was self-leveling and we attempted to make a barrier around the sink opening with some tape, the epoxy was too heavy and went right through it. We quickly grabbed some plastic to protect the inside of the cabinet under the sink and all was well.