We knew we wanted to reupholster the couch cushions in the trailer but weren’t sure how we were going to do it. I have done a ridiculous amount of research for every project we’ve done, and even though I do know how to sew I thought it was going to be too big of a project to do on my own. I called a few places to see how much it would cost to have it done professionally, but it was very expensive. I finally decided I was going to do it myself by wrapping the cushions with new fabric.
Paul and I went down to a bulk fabric store, they had so much fabric it was hard to choose at first, then we started looking at prices. I wanted about 10 yards of fabric and the fabric store had fabric ranging from $12 a yard all the way up to $40 a yard. We settled on a gray burlap type of material (softer than burlap). When The woman in the store went to cut it for us she was very hesitant, she did not like my idea of wrapping the fabric rather than sewing it. After some persuasion she reluctantly cut the fabric and we headed home.
I scrubbed the cushions with an upholstery cleaner, leaving the old covers on because of the waterproof lining and figured we could us all the protection we could get. Using a sticky spray adhesive I glued wood that Paul had cut to size, to the back of the cushions. The wood would be used to staple the fabric securely to the cushions. I covered the wood with an old sheet to protect the walls from getting scratched up from the wood. Then like a present I wrapped and stapled the new fabric around the cushions. It took some playing around to get things to look good but I’m not mad at how they came out.